A magnificent composition done by Frog with the help of Duck & Banana
The Story of Tan Hong Ming & Umi QazrinaI stood still, looking up at my primary school flag waving in pride above me. My tiny heart thumped softly as it whispered, "This was where it all began."
The bell rang as loud as it could, marking the start of recess -- that was one thing that was still unchanged in this school despite having 19 years to fly past. I smiled to myself as I watched the little children storming out of their classrooms, hiding away the atmosphere of a silent hallway just moments ago with their laughters.
It reminded me clearly of how I used to be like one of them years ago.
My movements stopped as I began to notice a carving on a tree trunk near me. Despite being a little unclear, I still managed to read it. It stated, "April 9 1990. Umi, please forgive me. -THM."
Tan Hong Ming was his name.
He was the one and only who could always smile, despite being slammed in agony. But I had to be the one and only to turn the tables around and change everything.
Ever since we first became friends, I had never thought of him being different, despite his background though he was an orphan, his race or even his unfluency in speaking Malay.
But my actions went alongside my emotions until I hurt his feelings.
(Insert idiom: I really don't know how to translate this one)
For the first time, I could read the anger towards me in his eyes. He shouted directly at me as his anger began to flow like an erupting volcano. I turned silent and was in deep remorse.
I really did not mean to insult about his family being incomplete.
I could no longer afford to pluck up the courage to face him again.
He would not forgive me, for sure. Unfortunately, Father received a job promotion that afternoon and the whole family will have to move and follow him out of this area.
Hong Ming had already become my enemy.
My intention to patch things back with him before I left was erased when I saw him with a group of new friends.
April 9 1990, until that day, I had no longer seen him.
Before I was being swayed deeper into reminiscation land, I was awaken by a soothing voice of a lady calling out for me, "Umi? Umi Qazrina, is that you?"
Mrs Mas. I was totally confident that that voice I heard was Mrs Mas's.
She has not changed at all over the years. I made an arrangement to meet her this afternoon to send in my report as a new teacher in this school. I froze still when I saw a refined man standing next to her. It felt as if I knew him somewhere, but I dared not recall.
"This is the surprise I told you about over the phone," Mrs Mas exclaiming in joy.
I could only afford a smile as I shook his hand. Mrs Mas was quick to notice signs of confusion on my face.
"He is our new principal. Mr Tan. Mr Tan Hong Ming. You'd clearly remember him won't you?"
My heart raced in full throttle.
I could not utter a single word out of my lips. I just played around with my watch as I noticed the day's date -- April 9 2009.
God has answered my prayers for this long-awaited reunion. Our friendship rebegan in a new fresh episode. Few months later, Mrs Mas successfully launched her latest book -
"The Story of Umi Qazrina and Tan Hong Ming."